Sunday, March 23, 2008

Easter fun


Remember the days when holidays were full of fun activities and yummy treats? Well they are a whole lot different when you are the parent and it is your job to provide said activities and goodies. First, you get to listen to the begging and pleading--"please mom, can we color our eggs today? Please? Please? Pleeeease?" And this starts about two weeks before Easter. Don't even get me started on how fun it is to run errands and have your one year old throw a tantrum in every store you go to because she can't help herself to all of the colorful candy treats that are EVERYWHERE. Good times. So finally Easter weekend arrives. The eggs have been colored and although there were five or six Humpty Dumpty's, there were no major clothing casualties for once. Now it's Saturday night and Jared decides that he just doesn't think we have enough non-candy things to put in the baskets. So, I run out to the nearby drugstore and spend way too much on really lame toys. Later, the kids are finally asleep and I start assembling the baskets. First, the stupid grass comes in a block that is taped together on the bottom, so it's nearly impossible to separate into three portions. Then I freak out when Braden comes walking down the stairs. By the way I reacted, you would have thought he'd been shooting at me darts dipped in crazy potion. Jared's laughing at me, and I feel like a jerk. So I settle Braden back down (with extra affection), and get back to my basket assembly. I open the sacks and see what we bought and I realize we have way more junk than we need. Did we think we had twelve kids when we were shopping? Seriously, Jared and I going to be rotting our teeth out after bedtime until Halloween. I think next year I'm either buying bigger baskets, or Jared isn't allowed to do the shopping with me. Anyway, so it all worked out. The kid's woke up this morning and were thrilled, although I don't think they had the proper appreciation for the job that was done. That Easter bunny sure can pack a lot of stuff in a little tiny basket.

3 comments:

Becky said...

Sound like you guys had a fun Easter! That's funny that Jared thought they didn't have enough stuff for their baskets... I kind of remember having nothing in our Easter Baskets, and only candy hidden around the house. So it was different for me to actually buy goodies and toys to put in the baskets. (Brett grew up with basket goodies.) But I know what you mean about the Easter things at the stores. Only Jacob did not want to stop taking every Easter Basket down and putting every egg shaped item in them!

Johnson Family said...

Amy, I am sorry to say that I have forgotten how funny you are! It has been too long...you crack me up. I totally forgot about being the Easter bunny until 11pm the night before as Erik and I were climbing into bed! Suddenly it hit me! I thought it was a blessing from the Lord to be reminded...but would He really care about that? :)

Jenna said...

I laughed so hard at your blog!!! It's just oh so true...Last year we did the same thing...way too much candy and stuff!!! I promised myself that I would never do it again (for now...)...so our kids got "just enough"...it seemed meager as compared to last year (how can you compare to a candy feast!!!!), but the kids didn't seem to even notice...I guess it worked!