Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Mmmmmmm . . . Weight Loss TV



What is it about watching a group of big people sweat and cry and kill themselves over losing weight that drives me straight to the kitchen? Jared is a huge reality TV junkie and so, by default I guess I'm kinda one too. The Biggest Loser started this week and I discovered that as soon as Jared told me, I had an incredible desire to make pumpkin cookies. For those of you out there who find this show inspiring and think it makes people think twice about what they put in their bodies, I give you exhibit A: My husband (okay, me too). Really, I do have to blame him because I was never the type of person who couldn't sit down and watch TV without eating before. It seems like most nights, we put the kids to bed then head to the kitchen for a snack before sitting down to see what we recorded on the DVR. Usually I'm okay with a small (occasionally healthy) snack, but when we're watching The Biggest Loser, I go for the big guns. I look for the soda, ice cream, Cheetos, cookies, candy, nachos - whatever I can get my hands on that is full of calories and likely to make me gain a pound just looking at it.

So I've come to this conclusion: What they really need to do to inspire people to stop stuffing their faces is, rather than show people eating healthy foods and exercising like maniacs, they need to show us people eating tons and tons of junk food with close-ups and sound magnification. I know that's the quickest way to make me lose my appetite. Now, If only I could convince the networks . . .

4 comments:

Becky said...

Ha Ha Ha! Brett and I do the same thing. We put the kids to bed and grab a snack and sit and watch good ole DVR! Only I never eat a healthy snack, usually ice cream, soda, or a baked goodie. Last night we even considered going for a late night hamburger while watching Biggest Loser, but then thought better of it! It just didn't feel right with that show!

Jenny said...

I made cookies last night, too, and ate a few while watching the Biggest Loser, too. Must be a family thing..maybe genetics?

Kari said...

Just the thought of watching fat people getting fatter makes me want to throw up.

Matt and I are strange. We either watch a movie or snuggle down with Facebook (computer). But we don't have cable or DVR. Here is the nerd coming out in me: I really don't miss anything but Supernanny! And sometimes not even that.

Wait, no. I lie. I would trade a kidney for HGTV and Food Network. I miss that.

Lynette said...

The show inspired me, but guess what, I'm 5 under my goal now and I'm drinking sodas, eating cookies, and chocolate covered almonds again here in Mexico! Craig only has 2 to go! Walking to work everyday must do it! We have not had Montezumas revenge, so we've arrived on our own. Too bad I can't see the new season!