Friday, September 19, 2008

Tagged Again

Stephanie tagged me last week and I'm finally getting around to doing it. For this one, I'm supposed to list 5 Joys, 5 fears, 5 obsessions/collections, and 5 surprising facts. Then I get to tag 5 people. Here we go:

Joys
1. My family
2. Date night
3. Good food - especially good chocolate
4. 8:00pm (bedtime for munchkins. need I say more?)
5. Any social event that gets me out of the house, even if it's just cutting and sorting box-tops with the PTA.

Fears
1. My children getting hurt (or worse)
2. That phone call. You know the one - where you find out something terrible has happened to your husband or your mom, or someone else you really care about.
3. Financial failure. New business ventures are scarier than Wes Craven's mind. Seriously.
4. Bees. Ugh. I've got the willies just thinking about them. Yes, I am one of those people who freeze in fear just from the buzzing sound. I feel pretty ridiculous when the offending buzzer is just a common house fly, but I can't help it. I can't move or even breathe until it's gone. My heart races even when I see them in large numbers on TV. I'm so pathetic.
5. The Ocean. How can something that vast not terrify people. The first time I saw the ocean was when I was 15 years old. I was so excited, and it was beautiful up close, with the waves crashing and what not. But try to put me in the ocean and we'll have problems. Wading, I can handle but as soon as I can't touch I get paranoid. I'm afraid of the immensity of it too. You know those movie scenes where the camera is obviously on a helicopter or something and they pan out over a huge space and all you can see is water and horizon? It makes my stomach drop every time I see it. It's almost like vertigo. I know it's irrational, but I swear my body reacts to it on it's own. I realize that the ocean on the TV screen can't hurt me but I get dizzy anyway. It's really annoying to think that I may not ever be able to handle going on a cruise.

Obsessions/Collections
1. Books. I can't get enough. I have boxes in storage full of paperbacks. I am a frequent visitor of the library and the local used bookstore. I like all kinds of genres too. Mystery, Suspense, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Drama, even an occasional romance as long as it's not dirty. I love fiction and poetry from the Romantic and Victorian periods (Jane Austin, yo). I've been on a YA fiction kick lately and I'm surprised at how un-cheesy a lot of it is. There is actually some good writing to be found in the young people section. Go figure.
2. Organization. I have a lot of stuff in my teeny-tiny apartment and so everything has it's place. The items in my kitchen absolutely won't fit if they aren't in their allotted spaces. I tend to be anal about my dvd's too. If I had my way, they would be first, categorized then alphabetized. But, since I have kids, they get mixed up two days after I organize them, so I just have to pretend I don't care.
3. Recipes. I'm always looking for new ones.
4. I have a pretend obsession/collection. Yes, this one exists only in my dreams where I have lots of money and fabulous clothing to set off with the most perfect . . . Any guesses? Shoes, of course! Some day, my friends. You'll see. I'll graduate from window shopper to actual shopper!
5. Ebay. Yup. I'm addicted to ebay. I don't even buy anything most of the time, but it's not unusual for me to be "watching" up to thirty items at a time. Again with the window shopping! Sometimes it totally pays off though. Last week I won an auction for four adorable dresses with a coordinating sweater (for Katie) for just over $6. I'm so proud of them I'm tempted to post pictures - but I'll spare you. You don't care.

Surprising Facts
1. Despite my bi-yearly purchases of highlighting products for my hair, I have always had a secret desire to be brunette. What do you think, Hot?


2. I am a dancing fool. Yes I am (to be heard in the voice of Mary Murphy)!!! One of the things I miss most about single life is the dancing, whether its goofing off to the likes of ABBA with my roommates (oh yah, you know you guys miss it too), or letting loose at a club or BYU dance, I guess I just like to shake it! Now, with only my small children as witnesses, I get funky with my earbuds and my ipod. It really makes the housework and the cooking much more enjoyable. You should try it.
3. I am a blog snoop. I check out everyone's friends and sometimes their friends. It's quite entertaining. Some you guys have some goofy friends. Hah! But seriously, I've also found some cool websites through other people's links. Like Steph, I love your sister's cooking blog. Y'all have to check it out (http://www.ourbestbites.com) try the Spicy Honey Chicken (Jared's favorite) or the Potatoes and Onions recipe with the smoked paprika - yummy. You know what else I found somewhere was a website for that Eric Snider guy that wrote the "Snide Remarks" column in the BYU newspaper (http://www.ericdsnider.com). That's always good for a few laughs when I need them. The movie reviews are hilarious.
4. Sometimes I have this strong impulse to write a novel. I know, crazy huh. Sometimes I have these vivid dreams that have nothing to do with my life and I think - wow, that would make a cool book. But then by 10am I've forgotten the whole dream, so I'm sure the book thing will never happen. I could never produce something that people would want to buy anyway, so I guess I'll never be a famous millionaire and I couldn't care less.
5. Um. Huh. I'm running out of things that would surprise you. Everyone knows what a goof I am. One more . . . I know! I have an ear thing. What is an "ear thing," you ask? I cannot stand to have my ears touched, breathed on, kissed, or disturbed by others in any way. My kids try to whisper in my ears sometimes and it takes all of my self control not to knock them across the room. It's like a reflex. My brother used to torture me by sitting on my chest with my arms pinned under his knees and he'd give me wet willies until I cried. Jerk.

5 People I Tag:
Emily, Kari, Deena, Mari, Jenna

Well wheww! That ended up being much longer than I anticipated. Sorry, did I say I would never write a book? Oops.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

I totally hear you about the ocean thing and I forgot to put bees on my fears, but I am the same exact way. I do miss dancing to Abba (loved the movie Mamma Mia) and often dance with my ipod while doing chores and cooking too!! And yes, my sister-in-law's site is awesome. Another good one (but don't tell her I told you) is the picky pallette. I don't know the site, but it's got some great food. I loved reading this. I brought back so many memories with you!

Leslie said...

Hey, it's fun to see you guys after all these years. We keep tabs on you through Jenna. I think you look great as a blonde! Your kids are too cute!

Becky said...

You know Amy, maybe your obsession with shoes could come true if you did write down one of your dreams in a book. (You know, the whole Stephenie Meyer thing). You could be rich and famous! (: