Thursday, July 17, 2008

Open for Business

After much toil and stress, the office is finally open. We had a whole two patients our first day, but none the following two. We haven't advertised yet because we decided to have a soft opening to work out the bugs (literally and figuratively ha ha). We had some craziness over the past few days with some bad wiring that fried some stuff at our front desk - three fancy calculators and two $500 printers. Thank goodness for warranties. Luckily our big $2,000 computer was not on the bad side. It seems like everything is working right now, so that eases the stress a bit. Now we just need some patients. We're hoping things will pick up when we put our adds out and let the word spread. I realized that we hadn't posted any pictures of the finished office, so I took the camera to work with me. I was there for an hour by myself, so I may have gotten carried away taking pictures of myself with wacky frames. Ha Ha, you know you want to see . . .





Here are the front desk and optical. The camera flash kind of makes everything in the first picture look the same color, but it's not. We have two shades of brown, baby! Hey, the desk top is even mostly black. As soon as we feel like we won't have any more hidden expenses, we'll go look for some decor to color it up a bit. But as you can see, we've just got the bare minimum as far as accessories go. That means zero. Well no, actually we have one. Our fish tank!



As you can see, our poor fish tank is not quite ready for fish yet. I guess it has to go through some cycle to allow for the bacteria to regulate or something. I obviously have no idea what I'm talking about here. Hey, does anyone have a massive piece of free artwork we could put on the wall in the reception room? BORING.

Okay, I know you've been waiting for this. Here is a sampling of my frame modeling. Watch me work it.





9 comments:

The Stradlings said...

It looks great guys! A lot different from the last time I saw it. I'll spread the word to my family that you're open now. All of us Churchills are blind so we could get you some good business. Congratulations on opening. We're so proud! :-)

Jenna said...

Wow! The office looks great (and so does Amy!!). (: As for artwork...if you remember...there is that HUGE painting of Marcy's that hangs at grandpa's house... (: Seriously, if you want it, I'll bet Grandpa would let you use it...

Other ideas...you could watch HGTV for a while...they always have pretty crafty, but beautiful ideas for cheap artwork...as big as you want. But personally, I think you should do a collage of your family modeling glasses...one person per picture frame... (:

Amy said...

Jenna - thanks for the offer for Marcy's painting, but ummm . . . no thanks. I don't think pink and green pastels would improve anything! ;)

Becky said...

Everything looks great! The only large piece of "art" that we have is a huge Manchester United Soccer Flag that currently hangs in our spare bedroom. Our house is empty of accessories too, only family photos really. Anyways, on a more serious note, I love the granny glasses look on you Amy, they really draw attention to your face! (: The office looks really well done. Good luck with the glitches, those probably happen to everyone.

Brett Abbott said...

Awesome. I love the glasses in the first picture. I keep trying to convince Becky (Millhouse) to get glasses like that - she always wimps out. You need to tell her that nerd chic (a la Tina Fey) is in right now. Maybe I can get her next time she needs new Coke Bott....I mean glasses.

Kerstin said...

Looks great guys! I love Amy in the glasses! I once worked for a hearing aid office that barely opened as their receptionist. During "down times" (and there was a lot of them) I would pace around at at least get some exercise in.

Good luck with everything....miss you guys! :)

Stephanie said...

Woohoo! Congratulations! The pictures of Amy are the best part!

Brandy said...

Hi Amy! It's Brandy Seader! I hope you don't mind but I peeked into your blog via Mari's.....just wanted to pop in and say HI. Your family has grown...you guys all look so good. Congrats on opening Jared's practice, that is so exciting. Brian has looked for Jared at the continuing ed. conferences out here in NM and hasn't ever seen him.

Hope all is going well for your family!

Amy said...

Hi Brandy! It's good to hear from you. I tried to link to your blog via Mari's too, but yours is restricted :(

Are you in Albuquerque? We go down there now and then, so it would be fun to get together. My email is amy@olsonfamily.net if you want to get in touch.