Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Our First Walk-ins

We are one week out in opening our new practice. We are scheduled to open on July 15th. Hey that's my Birthday. We had some unexpected walk-ins that just couldn't wait to be seen. My first guests to the office! They called themselves solifugids, more commonly known as wind scorpions or sun spiders. With eyes so close together, I couldn't help but think of how much eye-strain they must be going through. (Look David my first Esotropes in my office; and I got two of them.) It was a shame I didn't have any glasses small enough to fit them.

So I tried to cycloplege (dilate) them. As seen below they weren't too happy. I expected this reaction as it is the same for many of my patients. The only problem was I didn't have any sun glasses for them afterwards. They weren't able to drive home, due to blurred vision, so I gave them a ride. Unfortunately only one of them survived the trip home in the jar together. I think the dilation blurred them so much they thought each other was the juiciest stake they ever saw.

Anyway, the boys were a little freaked out with them home at all. I guess they didn't like it when we read that they are nicknames "Jaws" and they have the strongest jaws in the insect kingdom. These suckers are big (1-2 inches), bad, and your child's worst nightmare. We didn't ask for any referrals. By the way they are not poisonous and yes they are scorpions. Supposedly their bites are pretty wicked though.

4 comments:

Kari said...

Gross. I don't like scorpions. Although about halfway through the description, I suddenly felt I was talking to Kerstin about Ears. More info about ears/eyes than I ever knew before. I'm glad you are having fun though.

Jenna said...

Do those things walk all over Farmington? yeek!!! Glad to know you are doing your optemetric duty to help everyone's eye sight!!! (: Can't wait to hear how your practice starts...it's really soon! You must be excited!

Poppa said...

I sure hope you really tried to put some cyclo on them. That would've been a riot. I sure wish I was there to help open and learn all the fun stuff you are going through. Our thoughts and prayers are with you guys.

Mari said...

That is one uuuuuuuuuuugly bug. Kinda funny that they are optometric freaks though. Love your choice of opening day--it's one of my favorite days as well. We'll eat cake for you here too ; ) Best of luck!